Hamed Shamma is an Associate Professor of Marketing and BP Endowed Chair at the School of Business, at The American University in Cairo (AUC), Egypt. He received his Ph.D. in Marketing from the George Washington University in Washington, DC (USA). He also holds a Bachelor’s of Arts (BA) in Business Administration with specialization in Marketing and Masters of Business Administration (MBA) with a double concentration in Marketing and International Business from the AUC.
He started his career working in corporate performance and budgeting at Orange Egypt, the leading mobile phone operator in Egypt. He then embarked on an academic career in marketing, where he held built significant expertise and knowledge. He has taught 15 different marketing courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in Egypt, the United States of America (USA), Germany, the United Kingdom (UK), Austria, the Netherlands, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Kuwait, Saudi Arabia among other countries. He teaches Principles of Marketing, Marketing Research, Consumer Behavior, Services Marketing, Marketing Strategy, Brand Management, Retail Management, Reputation Management, Corporate Social Responsibility, Sales Management, Customer Experience Management, and Marketing Management among other courses.
His primary research interests are in the areas of corporate marketing, customer relationship management, retail management and marketing and public policy. He published more than 20 articles in leading international journals such as: the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Product and Brand Management, International Journal of Marketing Studies, Journal of Islamic Marketing, Benchmarking: An International Journal, International Journal of Economics and Business Research, International Journal of Commerce and Management and International Journal of Customer Relationship Marketing and Management among others. Further, he has presented more than 30 papers at international conferences such as the Annual American Marketing Association Conference, the Annual Academy of Marketing Science Conference, Annual Macromarketing conference and the Annual Society for Marketing Advances conference. He co-authored the first Arab Word Edition of Marketing Management, - the most widely used marketing book in graduate business schools worldwide - with Philip Kotler and Kevin Keller.
He also provides training and consulting in the areas of corporate branding, corporate reputation management, marketing strategy, retail management and customer relationship management. He is specialized in examining corporate-level issues about organizations such as corporate reputation, corporate branding, corporate image, corporate reporting and corporate performance. He consulted and provided training to various organizations such as Ministry of Civil Aviation, Ministry of Administrative Development, Ministry of Planning, Raya, Eva Pharma, Pfizer, Orange Labs, Etisalat Misr, Siemens, Mansour Group, Goldman Sachs Women Entrepreneurship and Leadership, Flat 6 Labs, Endeavor, among many others.
- Szőcs, BB Schlegelmilch, T Rusch, Hamed M. Shamma (2016), Linking Cause Assessment, Corporate Philanthropy, and Corporate Reputation, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 44, no. 3 pp. 376-396.
- Rania Hussein, Amr Kais and Hamed M. Shamma (2014). Determinants of Customer Loyalty: Evidence from the Egyptian Mobile Market, International Journal of Customer Relationship Marketing and Management, vol. 5, no. 4, (pp. 1-19).
- Farrag, Dalia and Hamed M. Shamma (2014), “Factors Influencing Voting Intentions for Egyptian Parliament Elections 2011,” Journal of Islamic Marketing, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 49- 70. (Best paper in Journal Award)
- Bhuian, Shahid, Doug Amyx and Hamed M. Shamma (2014), “An Extension of Consumer Environmental Behavior Research Among Expatriates,” International Journal of Commerce and Management, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 63-84.
- Shamma, Hamed M. and Salah S. Hassan (2013), “Customer-Driven Benchmarking: A Strategic Approach Toward a Sustainable Marketing Performance,” Benchmarking: An International Journal, vol. 20, no. 3, pp.377-395.
- Bhuian, Shahid, Orlando Richard and Hamed M. Shamma (2013), “Entrepreneurial Orientation and Organizational Performance: The Role of Managerial Traits,” Journal for International Business and Entrepreneurship Development, Vol. 6, no.3/4, pp. 203-223.
- Shamma, Hamed M. (2012), “Toward a Comprehensive Understanding of Corporate Reputation: Concept, Measurement and Implications,” International Journal of Business and Management, vol. 7, no. 16, pp. 151-169.